Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Injun summer after all

Great White Dispatch
Notes From Damn Near Canada
No. 41
10/27/09
0620

It’s damn near November, which means that while winter hasn’t exactly settled in, it’s standing outside our door holding a suitcase. Last Friday, a Christian Slater-style hard rain resulted in this…

…pretty much out of nowhere. It wasn’t really cold enough for accumulation, but the sheer volume of falling snow stacked up pretty quickly. Which made the drive home from work in my Chevy Toboggan sorta hairy at times. Have I taken precautions against another situation where an impromptu snowstorm makes driving a rear-wheel drive pickup with no weight in the bed a little less dangerous? Of course not. 300 pounds of sand is buried somewheres in my garage.

Anyway. A few days before the Day After Tomorrow slapped us in the face, were granted one last beautiful summer day. I managed to sneak out with my camera and remind myself that no matter how doom-and-gloom I get, I can always step outside and say, “Yeah. This is mine.”

The entirety of Barn Bluff, as shown from the, er, other bluff.

This is taken from the park that basically surrounds my house.




These, too.


The view-from-the-dock shot it kinda overdone, but for good reason. Damn, it’s purty.

And here's some other random shots from the day:

There’s a bunch more pics posted at http://www.flickr.com/photos/vangoat.
Enjoy these, because I’ll be spending Halloween weekend five hours north in some cabin in the woods. The next pictures you get here might be from the county coroner, and might include my axe-murdered body. Cabin in the middle of nowhere? On a lake? On Halloween? With no place to poop indoors? Yeah. Clearly not MY idea.

Seriously, though, the place looks pretty rad. My goal is to grab a picture of a moose.
http://www.snowshoecountry.com

No comments: