Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Barns Bluff

Great White Dispatch
Notes from Damn Near Canada
No. 5
9/24/08
15:00

Since this was my last free weekend before I start the job, we wanted to actually do something. So we climbed Barns Bluff in Red Wing. This bluff is basically a rocky mini-mountain that overlooks the town, the river and the rest of the bluffs around. Barns Bluff has a 2.5 mile trail made up of crumbly steps and questionable dirt pathways that wind around the hill, finally ending at the tippy-top which is 350 feet up. Nice rock walls and formations on the way, and some goddamn pretty views once you get to the top. I wish my crappy camera could do it justice. Anyway, at one point you have to pretty much climb straight up, and a misstep could see you, um, falling to your death. Possibly the most dangerous thing I’ve ever done. Totally worth it, though.


I had to work to get up there.

From the summit.

Red Wing from above.




What you don't see is that to the left of the path is a drop of 200 feet.


1 comment:

AK said...

350 feet? Pussy. ;)

Looks pretty nice!