Thursday, August 28, 2008

8/26/08-8/27/08

Great White Notes:
Dispatches from Damn Near Canada
Volume 1

8/26
18:00

I will never leave this place.

I am sitting on a bench made from a simple knotty board laid over two stumps- the only thing that could even be considered furniture in my house here in the Minnesota woods- and I am watching the sun ease down behind the grass at the back of my very own prairie.

I will never leave this place. I will doze off here, long after the sun is gone, my very good coffee has disappeared. The dew will form on my skin late in the evening and will evaporate in the early afternoon. Deer will nibble my clothes, hummingbirds will buzz my ears. Jackrabbits will bounce across my boots. But I will not leave.

Because I’m pretty sure this is as good as it can get.



1 comment:

AK said...

Mmm... nature. I like your writing in this one. You're making me wish I didn't live in the middle of a city (albeit a residential neighborhood of a much smaller version of what I was just living in). So, are you writing in this blog or the other one or both?